Scientific Name : Lactuca sativa
- A pack of premium quality Batavia Seeds of high germination rate and precision.
- Batavia lettuce is also commonly known as the French crisp. It has thick, lush, crisp, green, and dark red leaves with good flavor. It is easy to grow, relatively tolerant of hot weather, and slower bolting.
- Our Tasty and versatile, Batavia Leaf Type is characterized with NOP-compliant pelleting.
- These are hence compact with bolt tolerance that produces an impressive count of tasty and crunchy leaves, uniform in size and color and taste.
- Lettuce is a cool-weather crop and favorable to grow at temperatures of 60–65°F (15.5–18.3°C). Careful variety selection is an important factor for hot weather plantings. Sow every 3-4 weeks for a continuous supply of fresh lettuce.
- Pro Tip: Pelleted seeds may require a little extra attention when it comes to watering, as they give the best results with consistent, moderate soil moisture throughout the germination period. An initial watering may split or dissolve the pellet, but if the soil is allowed to dry out before the germination period is over, the seed may receive insufficient moisture for optimal germination.
Thermal Dormancy :
- Lettuce seed can enter thermal dormancy when subjected to extremely high temperatures. Optimum germination results at the temperature range of 60–68°F (15.5–20°C). The priming process in pelleted lettuce seeds however widens this temperature range in which the seeds will germinate, overcoming some of their thermal dormancy.
- Though pelleting offers many advantages, the process in itself also shortens the shelf life of the seed. We recommend you to use the pelleted seeds within one year of purchase. While storing pelleted seeds until planting, safeguard them from heat and humidity in a cool, dark, dry place. If you prefer to store your seed in the refrigerator, be sure to place the seed in an air-tight container to protect it from fluctuations in moisture content and humidity.